Saturday, April 19, 2008

An impressionable age

Luke has really grown up a lot in the past few weeks - not only his language skills but his general attitude and behaviour. Communicating is getting much easier and Luke easily mimics most things we say and new words he likes the sound of. I have got caught out asking him “why?” – as in “why do you want to go to the park?” He doesn’t really understand that why is a question and just says “why park” as a response. I’m waiting for the day when he turns the tables on us and uses “why?” one hundred or more times a day…

We’ve also noticed his behaviour is becoming more deliberate and his understanding of the consequences of his actions. I’ve noticed that Luke does things that will get a laugh out of us

Our big news is that Luke is out of nappies except for his sleeps. He’s been interested in sitting on the potty and the toilet for quite some time so it was time to go cold turkey. One week into it he’s doing really well with 4 completely dry days and one or two accidents on the others. He’s so proud to be a ‘big boy’ and loves a clap and cheer to celebrate a success.

Alex seems impatient to grow up and has spent too much time watching Luke with longing. He hasn’t been as happy as he used to be lying on his play mat and now calls out to be sat up (with support from me of course) so he has a different view and can grab at his dangling toys in a new way. He’s particularly fond of a lion and I’m sure one day he will manage to chew its foot off as he’s so determined when he focuses on it.

Alex and Luke are completely different babies and I wonder what impact being the second child will have. I probably spend less time with Alex as there is always so much to do – cooking, washing etc - although I’m more confident about what I do having had a trial run with Luke. Luke spends nearly 3 days a week at childcare so I try to give Alex my undivided attention then. We spend a lot of time sitting around on the floor laughing at each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh that is so sweet lol
karen and jay