Photo above is taken on the ferry from Southbank to Williamstown. G met us there with the car for a crepe lunch.
Our hearts were in our throats last Sunday when Alex disappeared from the house. Jack, our old neighbour, had just dropped by and Alex was with G whilst Luke and I said goodbye. Luke and I then went inside through the front door and Luke settled in for some quiet time. I went into the kitchen where G was and asked “where’s Alex”? “Outside” said G so I went to look for him. No Alex. I went back inside and G said he went out the backdoor. Running I headed to the front looking everywhere and then out the gate to spy little Alex maybe 40m up the road running along. I ran as fast as I could. He has crossed a minor street and was crying out “Jacky Jacky come back”. Everything was OK but in my heart all I could think about was what if someone had stolen him? I also worried that he may have been “squashed” by a car. This is probably the scariest thing that has happened to date.
Both boys are no stranger to testing boundaries. A few weeks ago things were quiet and then Alex ran into the house telling me “Lukie Lukie” in a Lassie like way. Mothers instinct kicked in and I bolted outside only to find Luke at the top of the fence hanging on by his fingernails. I wish I could say I caught him but I didn’t. I did manage to break his fall. My plea to my beautiful boys is that they always ask for help when they’re out of their depth. Sure I don’t want them climbing up the fence but more than that I want them in one piece more!
The photo below is me and the boys having breakfast in bed on Mothers Day - lucky me!
It’s not all bad. I’m cycling to and from work and now that it’s so dark at 5:30pm I decided to invest in some extra lights for my helmet. The boys found them (they have a habit of sniffing out anything new) and decided the lights were for them. Luke got the white one and Alex was very happy with red. They realised they don’t work well in the day so Luke started asking for a “night ride”. Now I’m very fond of a routine but that Sat night we took them for a spin around the block a bit after 6pm. Luke on his bike and Alex on his scooter. We talked to more people in our neighbourhood that night than the entire three months we’ve lived here!
Luke’s eight weeks of tennis lessons is probably half way through and his skills are improving. His listening isn’t.... I think being in a class with four girls and no boys makes him stand out in very boy behaviour. Everything has an extra flourish or theatrics about it. The kids have a go hitting the big foam balls and then it’s time to pick them all up. Luke slides up to them, pounces on them or goes for the same ball as one of the girls and grabs it our from under her nose. Very funny to watch from the sidelines. Alex has decided that being four will solve all of his problems and is desperate to be four and get out on the court.
No comments:
Post a Comment