Monday, October 25, 2010

Home sweet home

Luke at Meg's birthday being the clown
Life with our boys… G and I are trying to get half of the house painted so the boys are being left to their own devices a little over the weekends. Luke is leading the way with some really creative play and Alex is his little sidekick. Being boys they are obsessed with guns and killing. The politically correct part of me wishes that they wouldn’t do this but as boys every stick was a gun until they started building them out of Lego etc. I’m trying to impress upon them that using the words kill when directed at someone we love isn’t OK even if it is just pretend.
Sometimes he looks almost angelic
Alex has turned into a regular chatterbox. Over the weekend he went and sought G out who was stripping wallpaper in our room and for 10 minutes I barely heard Alex take a breath. I guess G was a captured audience. Alex is using more complicated sentences but only uses “me” and “our”. So it’s “our house” “our want our lunch now”. Very cute.

How cute is he!
He also has a cut way of counting 1, 2 ,3, 4, 1011 – teneleven is one number. And he gets very upset when corrected. His current fave number is 3 as he wishes his birthday was sooner rather than later.
We continue to work with Luke on his behaviour and see some light at the end of the tunnel. A positive for Luke is that he continues to get rave reviews about his sporting prowess. The boys have started going to ‘sports’ on Wed, a program where they swap sports every 5 to 7 minutes and Luke is clearly capable of doing everything. Alex probably as well but he tends to still be a bit sooky about Mummy so I haven’t quite managed to withdraw to the mothers hang out area yet.

Luke is becoming very expressive when he’s explaining something. He uses his hands to illustrate his points in a way that I find is reminiscent of Uncle John.

Bath time can be a war zone and/or a flood disaster. Like most parents we use bath time to ease into the bedtime routine and to create some calm at the end of the day. When it’s a battle ground over toys, or Luke holding Alex’s head under water so t’s not really relaxing them. On the odd occasions when we wash hair they turn into dinosaurs with their horns.

Alex asleep at the back of Luke's chair - exhausted
A few weeks ago we had a particularly busy day. The boys had a birthday party at a play centre in the morning, Grandpa was visiting etc. Alex is dabbling in not having a lunchtime sleep at home and on this day he refused so we just went with it. Around 4pm I realised I hadn’t seen him for a while and went to investigate. I found him fast asleep on the seat of the chair behind Luke who was playing computer games. It was such a sweet imagine I had to try and get a photo.

Partners in crime or pussy cats in the window
We are off to Tasmania for a short get away over the Melbourne Cup long weekend. G and I should know better by now but we’ve told the boys we’re going so Tasmania features heavily in their conversations. If Luke had is way we would be going right now. Buy the concept of waiting is one they are going to have to get used to s we push on. A couple of weeks ago they decided to pack their bags so that they were ready to go. In went some toys, a book, a raid on their undies and PJ’s (that explains why there are none in the drawer!) and then some serious pilfering in the pantry to get some snacks. I had to use one of the suitcases to go to Syd this week and emptied of everyone but the snacks which have long since disappeared.

No comments: