Monday, July 21, 2008

Plenty of milestones

The past few weeks have flown by and there have been a number of milestones in our house.

Alex has his first tooth which arrived the day before he turned 6 months. His second tooth is also here. All that slob and relentless chewing on things has finally paid off.

Luke’s 2 year old molars are also in with a minimum of fuss given his track record with teething. He doesn’t let me look in his mouth very often so one day all four of them were just there.

Luke has shown he’s ready to move from his trike (known as “little bike”) to a proper bike with training wheels. Jack has one and Luke has managed to have a few turns and shown that he’s more than capable. If only we had a garage for this collection of bikes we’re getting… I’m keen on getting him the bigger bike as it may slow him down. Luke tears around on “little bike” and on our way back from the park is especially fond of flying down the slight incline from the lights to our corner. I’m usually yelling “stop stop” as I try to teach him about not running people down and stopping at the laneway.

Alex is bathing in the bath seat – you might recall photo’s of Luke sitting in it – as he’s extremely capable of sitting up. Luke now also uses the bath seat although to him it’s a “digger”. Alex is not allowed first bath but Luke is kind enough to do peepee in the toilet before he jumps in.

Alex can not only sit up but thinks he can stand up as well. Given the slightest opportunity Alex braces his legs forcing us to hold him in standing position and then he beams this great big smile. I keep telling him he needs to crawl before he walks.

Alex is a Baby Possum! Alex has settled into childcare very quickly and become a favourite amongst the carers for his smile and easygoing nature. There is only one other baby that attends (the rest are around 1 year old) so he’s guaranteed lots of extra attention.

There is no stopping Alex with food. Everything we put in front of him gets eaten. G and I were disappointed that he took to yoghurt without the face pulling that Luke did. Luke continues to be overly fond of milk with food holding second place whilst Alex in the past couple of weeks is looking less interested in his bottle than food. G and I may be able to cancel that cow we had ordered for the backyard…

Alex and Luke have both had their first steam train ride (“no Luke it’s not Thomas”) and seen snow. The snow event was a little dodgy – just a truckload of snow dumped in the street but Luke braved the huge queue for a sled ride. And as you can see we returned to the firestation to get some better photo's - Papa came along as well.

Luke’s talking can drive us crazy at times. He’s hit the question phase: “where going?”, “what doing?”, "who that?”, “what this?”. Oh for some peace and quiet. He’s also developing some judgement and personal opinion and a favourite saying is “is funny?” (no, it is annoying…) along with “by self”/"I do it" (Mr Independent) and "like that" (as in do I do it like that?), also "what that noise"?

Alex thinks Luke is hilarious and laughs big belly laughs when Luke is playing up to him. He loves when Luke plays cache cache (hide and seek) Luke likes to tickle Alex to get him going.

I’m back at work and of course missing the boys but enjoying being stimulated again and having people call me something other than “Mum Mummy Muuuummmmyyyyy”!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another great blog. These boys are growing so fast and competing for good looks, one fair and the other dark.
Alex has not only teeth but is heading for a hair cut - US Military I would suggest.
They both have beautiful smiles but Alex distributes them more generously.
When in Perth I took Luke to help me buy a bike seat for cousin Lucy. He then reported to G & J that Grandpa bought Lucy a bike.
I hope to go over late in August and if the event hasn't happened then I could be pressured.
I would love to see them all again as the kids are such a joy.